Re: [Boost-users] Building boost 1_70_0 with PGI 18.5 on CentOS 7

From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-05-15 23:43:54

On 16/05/2019 09:39, Christopher Harrop wrote:
> I am having trouble building Boost 1_70_0 with PGI 18.5 on a Linux
> CentOS 7 system, and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions about how
> to get it working.  I spent some time searching online for answers, but
> didn’t find anything recent that applied to my problem.  I am a novice
> with boost, and so am not sure where to start digging for solutions.
[...]
> Performing configuration checks
>
>     - default address-model    : none
>     - default architecture     : none

It looks like the build didn't properly detect your address model and
architecture.

You can try either passing these on the b2 install command line (eg.
address-model=32) or editing project-config.jam to insert or update them.

> error: No best alternative for libs/context/build/asm_sources
>     next alternative: required properties: <abi>aapcs <address-model>32
> <architecture>arm <binary-format>elf <threading>multi <toolset>clang
>         not matched

If you provide values for those properties then this should go away, but
if you're still having trouble and you don't need any of Boost.Context
or Boost.Coroutine (and possibly also not Boost.Asio) then you can try
building using --without-context to disable this library.

> gcc.compile.c++
> bin.v2/libs/regex/build/gcc/debug/threading-multi/visibility-hidden/posix_api.o
> /bin/sh: line 1: -fvisibility-inlines-hidden: command not found

This one seems a bit weird. I'm not familiar with the PGI compiler;
does it just use gcc under the hood? If not, this seems suspicious.

If it does use gcc under the hood, then maybe it needs an upgrade to a
newer version.

Make sure that you erase the build and stage directories (or use an
entirely separate directory tree) when switching between different
compilers, to reduce the chance that stray files from a previous build
will confuse a subsequent build.