From: Gerald Wiltse (jerrywiltse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-08-22 19:05:53

During an annual third-party audit of our source code, boost intrusive was
flagged as containing unlicensed code. Specifically, there are several
pieces of code in this file which are explicitly attributed to external
parties on external websites, which still exist and show no license.

https://github.com/boostorg/intrusive/blob/develop/include/boost/intrusive/detail/math.hpp#L156-L158

https://github.com/boostorg/intrusive/blob/develop/include/boost/intrusive/detail/math.hpp#L207-L208

Original sources:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11376288/fast-computing-of-log2-for-64-bit-integers

http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Fast_log_Function.shtml

I don't claim to be a license expert. I've read a lot over the years, but
this is the first time that I've actually been between an attorney and a
codebase having to figure out practical implications of a scenario like
this.

I first want to make sure that Boost committee is aware of this situation.

Second, I would like to know what the official conclusion would be from the
Boost Committee about the license implications in cases like these. Maybe
it has come up before and is well established. On the surface, the
implications seems ambiguous to me when: DEVELOPER_A takes unlicensed code
off the internet, prefixes it with a comment that says "Thanks to
DEVELOPER_B ", then prefixes the whole file with a file-level copyright
notice that says "COPYRIGHT DEVELOPER_A", and then says it's distributed
under BSL-1.0 license, and then the boost team re-distributes the source
code.

Internally at my company, there was little discussion about it. There is
no room for ambiguity, so the directive from management was to delete the
file from our SCM system completely and ensure it never is included in our
products. VERY fortunately, deleting it doesn't seem to have broken our
builds. In future cases like this, that's really not what we want to be
doing with your OSS libraries for obvious reasons. So, I'd like to know if
there's any chance this situation changes in a future version of Boost
(I.E., the code be removed/re-written with clean-room approach, etc).

Regards,
Jerry

Gerald R. Wiltse
jerrywiltse_at_[hidden]