From: pbristow_at_[hidden]
Date: 2019-10-03 14:46:56

From: Boost-users <boost-users-bounces_at_[hidden]> On Behalf Of kamallochan Jena via Boost-users
Sent: 3 October 2019 13:11
To: boost-users_at_[hidden]
Cc: kamallochan Jena <kljena2050_at_[hidden]>
Subject: [Boost-users] Regarding the End of life of Boost version 1.56

Hi,

In one of our project we are using Boost 1.56 version. And want to upgrade Boost C++ to a version that is not in an end of life state.

My queries are:

    1> When is the End Of Life of Boost 1.56 version ?

    2> What is the latest stable Boost version we can use instead of Boost version 1.56 ?

Boost never has never had the concept of an end-of-life state.

Each release is a ‘known-good’ (but not known-perfect!) state.

Some versions of Boost contain individual libraries that are the last that can be used with particular configurations/compiler version(s).

In general, you should always try to update to the latest version of Boost.

By studying the release notes for individual Boost libraries that you use, you will find the ones that might cause trouble and require changes.

Some features are deprecated, and then after usually at least a couple of release, are removed.

Avoid using old versions that contain unfixed bugs, especially ones as many years out-of-date as 1.56 when we are on 1.71.

I recommend that you attempt to upgrade to the latest Boost release on a test machine as soon as possible, preferably using recent compilers etc.

HTH

Paul

Paul A. Bristow

Prizet Farmhouse