From: Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-10-26 05:40:55

On 26.10.19 03:11, Zach Laine via Boost-users wrote:
> If you care about portable Unicode support, or even addressing the
> embarrassment of being the only major production language with next to no
> Unicode support, please have a look and provide feedback.

I can't see myself using the string layer at all. My codebase is too
deeply linked to std::string, as is the standard library, and a fair
number of third-party libraries I am using. Also, the primary advantage
of the string layer seems to be a narrower interface, which is not an
advantage at all to me as a user. std::string::find may be bad design,
but it doesn't hurt me, it just makes finding elements in a string
slightly more convenient.

I am very much interested in the unicode layer. I am currently using
ICU, and I'd really like to remove this dependency. ICU is big, it's
difficult to build, and I'm stuck on an older version because of
compatibility issues.

As for the text layer, the fact that it uses FCC means that I probably
won't use it because I have standardized on NFD.

--
Rainer Deyke (rainerd_at_[hidden])