From: Zach Laine (whatwasthataddress_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-10-30 16:06:03

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:47 AM Peter Koch Larsen <
peter.koch.larsen_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I saw that talk (on video) and was quite impressed but never got to
> try your library out.
> Would be happy to use a library like this! Can you tell me how it
> relates to the proposed std?

There is no relationship yet. Boost.Text is an experiment meant to gather
feedback, which will in turn drive the standardization effort. I believe
all large libraries should have Boost-equivalent visibility in the C++
community before being standardized. That being said, some of my fellow
SG-16 members (that's the committee's Unicode Study Group) have started
proposing some actual APIs for standardization. The first of these is the
most low-level: transcoding (see
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2019/p1629r0.html ).
JeanHeyd's approach is more ambitious than mine -- I really only care about
Unicode. His proposal covers conversions among all possible encodings,
including an API that lets users add implementations for the encodings they
care about that are not covered by the standard.

There are no other in-flight Unicode API proposals that I'm aware of.

Zach