From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2019-11-20 20:13:22

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 2:50 AM Mathias Gaunard via Boost-users <
boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Nov 2019 at 23:55, Nat Goodspeed via Boost-users
> <boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > Since the arrival of Boost.Stacktrace, I've been expecting a
> conventional boost::errinfo_stacktrace helper to join the suite of other
> boost::errinfo_mumble helpers. Is there a PR open with that?
>
> There's already support for it.
>
> https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_65_1/doc/html/stacktrace/getting_started.html#stacktrace.getting_started.exceptions_with_stacktrace
>
> I never got the point of boost.exception though.
> If you want exception info, just hook into your exception runtime and
> get all of them, instead of just the ones thrown with the boost
> exception magic.

The point of Boost Exception is to augment exceptions in flight regardless
of their exact type. At the point of the throw, you don't typically have
all relevant information to put in the exception object, for example when
reporting a file read error you don't have the file name available. Boost
Exception allows you to add file names and anything else later on.