From: pbristow_at_[hidden]
Date: 2019-12-05 10:51:33

Carefully considered.

The adjective drop-in might mislead?

There was much discussion of name; I agree that the name fixed_string is *very* misleading.

I'd much prefer a longer name that mentions *capacity*.

To throw my hat into the bike-shedding arena, can I propose "bounded_capacity_string" or even just "bounded_string".

I put a higher value on constexpr than compatibility with older C++std versions. If that means that it doesn't work for pre-C++20, too bad.

OK, but lacking examples and tutorials sections, and badly lacking a TOC (but bonus marks for an index), or links to sections and to the index. Loads of scrolling needed!

> - What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Valuable.

> - Did you try to use the library? With what compiler? Did you have any problems?

Perfunctory use. No problems.

> - How much effort did you put into your evaluation? A glance? A quick reading? In-
> depth study?

Quick reading and followed the civilized discussions.

> - Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Not specially.

The Big Thing that I know that arrays without sizes and null-terminated strings are the worse collision of two computer design disasters ! This is further proof, if one needed it.

> And finally, every review should answer this question:
> - Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost library?

Although there are some details and wrinkles to iron out, I'd like to see it in Boost to get wider use in anger, so

Yes accept.

Paul A. Bristow