From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-01-31 01:13:20

On 31/01/2020 11:35, Andrew McFarlane wrote:
> Okay, so I have made a bit of progress. After building Boost.Asio with:
>
> b2 --with-system --with-thread --with-date_time --with-regex --with-serialization stage
>
> , and building Boost.Chrono with (replacing bjam with b2):
>
> bjam libs/chrono/build

You could have just added --with-chrono to the first command.

> The code is now compiling with the following g++ command:
>
> g++ -v -Wall -L ${BOOST_ROOT}/stage/lib -L
> ${BOOST_ROOT}/bin.v2/libs/chrono/build/clang-darwin-11.0/debug/threading-multi/visibility-hidden
> -lboost_chrono -lboost_date_time -lboost_system -I. -I${BOOST_ROOT} -o
> main main.cpp

You should not link with libs directly in bin.v2; use the stage/lib
directory instead.

(They're not different, it's just that the bin.v2 path is fragile.)

> However, when I go to run main, the program crashes with the following message:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: @rpath/libboost_chrono.dylib
>
> Referenced from: /Users/ajm/Projects/boost-threads/ex1/./main
>
> Reason: image not found
>
> Abort trap: 6

You either need to tell your compiler to use the static libraries (it
usually defaults to using dynamic libraries), or you need to set the
RPATH at compile time to the (absolute path of the) stage/lib folder, or
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you run the app (less preferred).

Or use the system-provided libraries instead, which will Just Workâ„¢
without any of this.