From: Andrew McFarlane (andrew.mcfarlane52_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-02-29 09:17:35

Hello all,

I just wanted to let you know that I figured out my problem. It had nothing
to do with Boost.Test and had everything to do with my Makefile.

My Makefile was literally telling g++ to try and compile main.cpp twice and
place the output in bin.

- I had defined an implicit rule to compile all .cpp files to .o files,
like so:

$(ODIR_TEST)/%.o : $(SDIR_TEST)/%.cpp

        $(CC) $(CXXFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

- And silly me, I wrote the default rule as follows:

$(OUTDIR)/$(PROG) : $(SDIR_TEST)/main.cpp $(TEST_OBJS)

        $(CC) $(CXXFLAGS) -o $@ $^

$(TEST_OBJS) is just a list of all .o files prefixed with ./bin/.

As you can imagine, taking $(SDIR_TEST)/main.cpp out of the list of
prerequisites completely fixed the issue. I was able to compile and run all
34 tests successfully from one executable.

Hurray!!

It feels good to have figured this out, especially because I was able to do
so on my own, but also makes me feel quite silly. Oh well, now I know.

My apologies for burdening your inboxes with my stupidity.

- AJ