From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-03-02 14:00:52

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 at 02:11, Stian Zeljko Vrba via Boost-users <
boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> It seems that Boost has different binary layouts of its data structures
> when compiled with MSVC and MINGW, i.e., they’re not compatible between the
> two compilers.

Erm, gcc and vc will never output the same binary code, I haven't done or
seen this, but it must be possible to compile clang (with mingw-gcc) for
use with mingw, then with that clang-cl you might stand a chance. Sticking
to static libraries, helps already (with exceptions across library
boundaries), using C as glue could fix the issue forever.

Another, much simpler solution is to ditch mingw and use clang-cl as your
main (or support to VC) compiler. Clang can 'theoretically' compile
'anything' (bar bugs in Clang), as long as it's coded in a std that's
supported by that version of clang and the code adheres to that std,
including but not limited to gcc-extensions and microsoft-extensions (in
addition to clang-extensions). Contrary to what Clang claims, Clang is not
fast (!!!), but it generates good code and excellent (short) error
messages, sometimes better (faster binary) than VC, sometimes worse than
VC, it's a crap-shoot, for speed-critical code, compiling bits with VC and
bits with Clang after having identified which bits work best which compiler
after bench-marking, gives to absolute best result, at least at par with
gcc if not better.

--
@systemdeg
"We value your privacy, click here!" Sod off! - degski