From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-04-03 06:14:05

On 2/04/2020 11:57, Richard Hodges wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 00:48, Gavin Lambert wrote:
> But custom epoll/select/poll is an entirely different kettle of fish.
> If your custom library must use those (and cannot provide a standard
> platform file descriptor that works with the standard platform
> epoll/select/poll), then you're largely out of luck.  For that, you
> would have to write a custom reactor instead; and as far as I am aware
> without deep modifications to Asio there is no provision for doing so
> (and it's a massive amount of work that is hard to get correct,
> although you can use the existing implementations as a guide).
>
> I respectfully disagree. You'd have to write a new executor and
> associated context. It would look very similar to the existing one.

(Granted I was mostly thinking of pre-executor Asio when writing the
above, but...)

Having recently had an adventure myself in implementing a custom
executor, I stand by my statement.

There are many required operations it does not seem possible to
implement without either depending on or reimplementing 'detail' code
from Asio, and there is very little guidance on doing so. Unless you
know of some example...?