From: Kenneth Porter (shiva_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-08-29 21:19:59

--On Saturday, August 29, 2020 11:27 AM +0300 Zhivko Vasilev via
Boost-users <boost-users_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> And IMAP complexity by itself is a "Beast" compared with SMTP.
>
> Not from boost libraries, but have you look at these libraries if you need
> IMAP support.
> https://github.com/dinhviethoa/libetpan
> https://github.com/MailCore/mailcore2
>
> As far as I know, most of the "modern" email apps which haven't used
> proprietary code are based on these libraries.

Thanks. I'd seen those and also this one:

https://www.vmime.org/

I'm coming from using Mulberry and Thunderbird, which have their own IMAP
implementation, but neither of those look easy to extract as standalone
libraries.

In addition to the complexity of IMAP, there's the need for authentication
and encryption support, so there's a stack of additional libraries like
GnuTLS, cyrus-sasl, and openssl needed.

Some of these are hard to build on Windows. Fortunately the new Windows
Linux Subsystem allows one to run Linux-based GUI programs in a VM and
display on the Windows desktop. So I may go that route.