From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-09-01 12:16:31

On 01/09/2020 11:54, Richard Hodges via Boost-users wrote:

> Asio certainly has support for asynchronous file IO. I have used it on
> linux systems for a multitude of file handle types, including console I/O.

Unless you were using a custom io_uring based i/o service, all your
asynchronous file i/o on Linux was actually synchronous all along.

Linux doesn't implement async file i/o until io_uring, and even then,
not properly until kernel 5.5 and even then again, not really until
kernel 5.9 releases. Some would argue that proper, reliable,
sans-pathological-corner-case async file i/o won't arrive in Linux until
some time in the 6.x kernel series.

Niall