From: Eugenio Bargiacchi (svalorzen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2020-11-22 11:06:04

Ah, sorry, I thought it would have been automatically clear. Consider this
example:

class A {
    public:
        A(int) {}
};

boost::multi_array<A,2> array(boost::extents[2][2]); // Compiler error
boost::multi_array<A,2> array(boost::extents[2][2], A(3)); // What I would
like

array.resize(boost::extents[2][2]); // Again, compiler error
array.resize(boost::extents[2][2], A(2)); // What I would like

The variable `array` cannot be constructed in any way, as multi_array will
try to default-construct it, and that will fail. Trying to simply create
`array` with its default constructor works (although it will obviously be a
zero-sized array), but when trying to resize it (to actually store things),
the same thing will happen.

Using pointers could work, but it's simply not viable, as it requires me to
do memory management manually. I simply do not wish to do so, and it kind
of runs contrary to modern C++ practices. I could use `unique_ptr`, but it
feels more convoluted than it should be (along with requiring an additional
layer of unneeded indirection). I feel multi_array should be capable of
being constructed from existing values, just as `std::vector` and other
standard containers can do.

Would this be possible?