From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-03-07 23:46:11

On 7/03/2022 20:35, Marc Viala via Boost-users wrote:
> Thank you very much for your reply Gavin.  This is what we had assumed
> after all our tests and we have now the confirmation.
>
> I am just wondering if it will be valuable to explain this corner case
> in the Boost.Serialization documentation.

That's pretty much standard for all libraries on Windows, at least
(Linux is a bit weirder; it may or may not be the case depending on how
the symbol visibility is set -- essentially Windows defaults to hidden
symbols and Posix defaults to visible symbols, though there has been a
push recently to make it behave more like Windows).

You can often get away with it when there aren't singletons involved,
but there can still be ABI problems if you have version mismatches
between each side.