From: Gavin Lambert (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-03-14 22:39:55

On 15/03/2022 07:13, Robert Dodier wrote:
> Given that there does not appear to be a concatenated stream class in
> Boost, I wonder what is the minimal set of member functions which must
> be implemented for a new input stream class. For example, it is
> plausible that it is necessary to define a constructor and a member
> function to get the next character (ignoring efficiency concerns). If
> there is any 25 words or less summary, or a pointer to a tutorial or
> blog post, etc., about implementing new input stream classes, I would
> be very interested to hear about it.

Boost.Iostreams is a library dedicated to making creation of new stream
types easier.

Having said that, it's still rooted in the C++03 world, so it might be
missing some potential optimisations from modern C++. Mind you, so are
streams.

Surprisingly, it doesn't look like Iostreams already has a concatenating
Source, which seems like it might have been a good fit for your use case
and the library itself. Perhaps you could contribute one?