From: Robert Dodier (robert.dodier_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-03-29 15:13:35

Gavin, thanks a lot for your reply, it makes a lot more sense now.
Previously I read the "Concepts" stuff but it didn't sink in -- I
wasn't sufficiently enlightened to understand the documentation, as
they used to say in the old days.

The stuff about template duck typing is mostly new to me in the C++
context -- I don't think I understood that stuff when I was working on
C++ projects long ago -- but it makes sense to me now as an example of
expression unification in a computer science-y sense; that's the
mechanism for a lot of algebraic identities in a computer algebra
project I'm participating in (namely Maxima).

Incidentally a web search for C++ template duck typing brings up a lot
of entertaining discussions, including complaints about the obscurity
of compiler error messages -- I've bumped into that too.

I'll digest this new stuff and try again soon. Thanks again for your help.

Robert Dodier