From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-05-06 11:59:30

On 06/05/2022 09:25, Martijn Otto via Boost-users wrote:
> I'm not against breaking compatibility with older c++-versions at all,
> but given that c++-14 has so few new features compared to c++-11 I do
> think that it may be better to bump the baseline to c++-17 directly.
>
> Whether we should do that _now_ is another matter. IMNSHO c++17 has
> been out for long enough that you'd expect most people to now have a

There's been some discussion on the develop list about this: I confess I
was in your camp, but it's been (correctly) pointed out to me that C++14
is the std version that actually made many of the C++11 features usable ;)

Plus compiler support for gcc and msvc tended to arrive at both C++14
and 11 together in the same release (gcc had pre-C++11 support earlier,
but there are enough bugs for it for us to not want to be targeting
pre-gcc-5).  Both compilers are also c++14 by default at present, I
realize that will change shortly, but we're not quite there yet.

Thanks, John.