From: Vinnie Falco (vinnie.falco_at_[hidden])
Date: 2022-07-24 17:09:21

I'm considering bumping up the C++ language requirement for Boost.URL
from C++11 to C++14. I have concerns about doing this, because it
affects all my downstream libraries (HTTP.Proto, HTTP.IO,
Websocket.Proto, Websocket.IO, and any examples or complete
clients/servers that I write).

My main fear is that there are still a considerable number of
individuals or corporations who, for whatever reason, cannot build
with -std=c++14 or later despite having access to newer compilers. I
don't mind if there is a small percentage of loss but I do mind if 20%
or more of potential users will be locked out.

The questions are:

1. Would you or your company be prevented from using Boost.URL if it
required C++14?

2. Do you know any other organizations who cannot use C++14 or later?

3. Do you know of any regional or global metrics on who _cannot_ use
libraries which require C++14?

See also, this reddit thread on r/cpp:

<https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/w6zuo5/c11_or_require_c14/>

--