Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Reviewing GGL against Boost requirements
From: Bruno Lalande (bruno.lalande)
Date: 2009-04-20 08:17:01

Hi

>> namespace a {
>>
>> class T
>> {
>> public:
>> void foo();
>> protected:
>> void bar();
>> private:
>> std::size_t count_;
>> };
>>
>> } // namespace a

Yep that's what I meant about namespaces. With the convention to
always have the ending comment, sounds important to me precisely
because of the lack of indentation.

> - I prefer a struct above a class because, especially in templates, many is
> public, often there is no protected / private at all

Even if a struct and a class are technically the same, there's a
strong "emotional" difference between them in the head of most
programmers. "class" is often used for classes meant to produce actual
objects, which have methods and an active role in the runtime
functioning of the program. "struct" is rather used either for POD
structures, or for classes used at compile-time like metafunctions,
tags, traits, etc... So if the code above was mine I guess I'd choose
"class", but I'm open to use "struct" if you really prefer.

> - I've always used the m_ prefix for member variables, don't know where it
> comes from. Find them much more readable. The boost sample header gives no
> prefix/suffix at all. However, the m_ prefix is used in some (not many)
> boost libraries as well (e.g. math/tools/remez). So here I prefer to keep
> them, at least in this refactoring round
> - In case of a template, I prefer the "typename" above the "class" (unless,
> of course, if it is required as in template template parameters)

No strong opinion about that so it's ok for me. About "typename", even
though I often use "class" just by convenience (it's shorter ;-)), I
think you're right with "typename" because historically, the fact that
"class" can be used that way is an accident.

Regards
Bruno

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net