Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] pre-/post-increment op on iterators
From: Barend Gehrels (Barend.Gehrels)
Date: 2009-04-25 18:13:35

> OK, this test case does not show incredible performance
> gain, but if we look around on the Web and Usenet comp.lang.c++.*
> we can find different results - all if not most of them show that
> pre-increment operator performs better. How better, numbers are
> different but may be big :-)
>
> Here is one of examples:
>
> http://antonym.org/2008/05/stl-iterators-and-performance.html

Great. They also mention boost::foreach. Actually I recently did
consider using this, it makes things concise. However, it is not used
often nternally within boost libraries. Don't know why not...
>> So yes, we should change it. Good you point it out.
>>

> OK, I will.

Also great, but I don't know if you intended to say that you'll change
all of them? That will be a lot. Cannot be done automatically, alas,
because of things like prev = it++ (where pre-increment will destroy
behaviour...)

Barend