Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] inline keyword in class definition
From: Bruno Lalande (bruno.lalande)
Date: 2009-05-05 04:38:06

Hi,

> Compilers are free to decide to inline or not, even if developer
> uses all available techniques to suggest inlining: inline keyword
> used with in-class definition of function, etc.

I agree with this completely, the use of inline keyword doesn't
guarantee at all that the function will be inlined. If it's long, the
compiler will refuse to inline it.

However, in my experience the inline keyword actually has an effect
for free functions. Especially on short free functions, it really
seems to influence the compiler (at least GCC). So I suggest to leave
them only on free functions.

Have just realized I missed a few of your mails those last days due to
a misuse of my mail interface. Have read them all now.

Regards
Bruno

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net