Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] inline keyword in class definition
From: Barend (barend)
Date: 2009-05-05 20:01:12

Hi,
>> However, in my experience the inline keyword actually has an effect
>> for free functions. Especially on short free functions, it really
>> seems to influence the compiler (at least GCC). So I suggest to leave
>> them only on free functions.
>>

> I guess, free functions defined in headers but not specified as inline
> may break One Definition Rule.

I just checked using our comparison programs. Please leave them there.
Without inline the performance drops with 10-20%, using gcc 3.4.4 / Cygwin.
For gcc 4.3.0 they do not have any measurable negative or positive effect.

However, they do not any harm, they are everywhere in Boost, removing
them cost time and is bad for old compilers, so let's keep them...

Regards, Barend