Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] inline keyword in class definition
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser)
Date: 2009-05-11 08:07:45

> > Then: 2008 is for me (very weird) much much slower than 2005. Factor
> 5 -
> >>10 slower (so 13.7 seconds instead of 0.94 seconds for a simplify). I
> > checked and checked and cannot find anything I did wrong... Probably
> I did
> > something wrong but cannot find. It would be good if someone else
> compares
> > these two. I talked about this with a Microsoft guy at BoostCon.
> According
> > to him the compilers are nearly the same. So there must be something
> > different.
>
> Weird indeed... the engines of those compilers are probably quite the
> same, differences are mostly about C++ standard compliance. I will
> check this week to see if I obtain the same result and if I can find a
> way to improve things for MSVC 2008. Did you try to generate the
> Makefile and to compare the parameters passed to the compiler for
> each?

Does this slowdown happen in release mode? If yes, did you #define
_SCL_SECURE=0 before including anything else? The STL for VC9 is known to be
slow in release mode if the 'secure' implementation is used (which
unfortunately is the default). You have to be very careful with this,
though, as it breaks ABI compatibility. That means you should use the same
settings for _SCL_SECURE for _all_ modules used in your application.
Otherwise strange errors will happen at runtime.

Regards Hartmut

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net