Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] rtree index
From: Federico J. Fernández (federico.fernandez)
Date: 2009-06-18 19:31:24

Hi List!

My name is Federico J. Fernandez.

I worked in the rtree spatial index during 2008 Google Summer of Code. I see
that now my code is included in GGL. I'm really happy about that.

I've been talking with Barend this days about improving the index, focusing
on performance optimization. So I have now some issues to address and I
would like to share them with the list to receive suggestions.

Let's start with the first. I use boost::shared_ptr<> in the tree nodes to
have pointers to the child nodes (in fact a std::vector of children). Barend
told me that this could have a very big performance penalty so we want to
replace them. I don't know what could I use to have a similar behavior:

- normal pointers (then I should take control of the memory management)
- some kind of local storage (the problem here is that I should replace all
the virtual functions that rely on pointers)
- other ideas ?

I also want to know if you have any kind of "test" infrastructure, because I
have some good tests from my GSoC work that I want to use to measure the
improvements, and I don't know exactly where to put them.

Thanks!

--
fede