Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] rtree index
From: Federico J. Fernández (federico.fernandez)
Date: 2009-06-19 18:46:43

> What I would like, but I don't know if possible, is that the node/leaf do
> not have virtual methods and no dynamic memory (other than std containers).
> But first we have to be sure that this is really possible. I still didn't
> have a close look. It might mean that a leaf and a node are the same object
> (so the only difference is that they do / don't have children, but that is
> dynamic).
>
> This will be a major change, but if possible, a major increase in
> performance.

I really don't know if it's possible (I mean, surely it's possible but
if it's not very hard to do). I barely remember that we tried to
replace it quickly with Hartmut in the SoC but we failed. But maybe
I'm confused with the virtual functions in tree index generic
interface (that it's not present in the GGL version).

I think that the node and leaf are not only different on that, they
are different also in the way the elements/boxes are inserted and some
other subtle differences. So we should have different versions of the
methods, but I don't know now why it couldn't be done with templates.

I'll begin removing the shared_ptrs and then I'll see if we can do
something with that... Suggestion/ideas are welcome of course! :D

--
fede

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net