Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Snapping
From: Stephen Leary (sleary)
Date: 2009-11-30 17:11:03

1. Yes - Old habbit.

2. Yes - i will correct.

3. Yes and No. A geometric tolerance is used when for example two vertices
are less than the geometric tolerance a comparison operator will return
true. This is not always the numerical precision so much as the limit of
what we care about in real life. i.e. less than 1mm on a countrywide map
might be the geometric tolerance. Snapping would be 1cm in this case.

4. Higher positional accuracy would be a decision made at a higher level
based on metadata/attribute data. But the ability to perform each snap type
needs to be selectable. I.e. the tools must be available to snap either way
round and the caller should be able to pick.

5. There are no papers on this that i can freely distribute. Most of this
experience is derived from working with 3 different commercial snapping
engines and having developed one myself. The snapping engine i developed was
a 3d one so 2d/2.5d is much simpler by comparison.

6. I'm happy to once I can include everyones comments.

Stephen

http://mateusz.loskot.net