Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] Any way to simplify polyline in following way with GGL?
From: Barend Gehrels (barend)
Date: 2011-02-19 15:50:18

Hi Denis,

On 11-2-2011 5:11, Denis Pesotsky wrote:
> I need to simplify self-intersecting polyline. I have no ides on how
> to describe this action, just look at attacked animated picture
> (animation.png).
>
> Actually, I already have implementation of this stuff using graphs
> (look at attached impl1.png and impl2.png), but just wondering:
> Boost.Geometry can do same?

The answer is: no, Boost.Geometry cannot yet do that. Also the dissolve
algorithm cannot do this in this case.

I've created a blog-page about this http://bit.ly/fzD875
because it is interesting to see the behaviour of different libraries
with respect to these kind of polygons.

I propose to move the dissolve algorithm to the extensions. It is better
to rethink about this function. This algorithm was not part of the
formal review, it was added later as an effort to resolve buffer
problems, and that buffer algorithm is also not yet ready for production
(so in an extension)...

Of course it can still be used from there, if people want it and there
might be reasons for this, but it will not yet part of the Release Branch.

Thanks for bringing up this topic.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net