Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [ggl] proj4 transformer design approach
From: Denis Kurilov (denis)
Date: 2011-05-02 19:51:16

Hi Barend,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply, now I better understand the reasons
behind PROJ4 code translation.

The compilation times are fine, it was only a minor note. I just wanted to
say that there should be a choose

between inlining and usage of external shared library, as a lot of
applications would prefer second. Imagine a

situation when third-party component uses projection transformation from
shared PROJ4, and your

component uses a version from Boost.Geometry. Maintaining them together
inside one application is a very

very bad idea.

You have also mentioned the transformation of lines and polygons, this is
probably the most complex thing

about transformation API, as you would need to indicate the accuracy needed
for such transformation (e.g.

how many intermediate points to add to line to transform it precisely enough
without adding of useless points).

Anyway, it will be interesting to read a discussion on that if there will be
any on public.

Also, if it is possible, I still would like to ask you to create a task
regarding support of grid-based transformations.

A common example is a datum transformation. You can use:

- Molodensky's formula (~5 meters accuracy);

- Bursa Wolf 7 parameter transformation (~1 meter accuracy);

- Coordinate shift grid (generally better than 50mm).

As you can see, without support of grid shift files the additional accuracy
provided by ttmath becomes simply

useless, as the error introduced by transformation model is much higher than
numeric precision.

Best regards,

Denis Kurilov