Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] warnings with gcc
From: Simonson, Lucanus J (lucanus.j.simonson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-01-18 16:39:54

>Polygon straight-skeleton is darn hard to do. There are correctness, performance and numerical robustness challenges. >It would be a two year job for a strong software engineer. I'm considering it as a GSOC project for next year. >Hopefully we can get a student working on it who will stick with the project after the end of the summer.

Forgot to mention, straight-skeleton is the basis for the "correct" polygon sizing algorithm. In trying to implement polygon sizing in Polygon I found that offsetting is easy, but sizing is quite another story. My current sizing algorithm is not "correct" because it is prone to artifacts that can only be solved in the general case by applying the straight-skeleton based "correct" algorithm (I tried to find a way around it and ended up proving that its impossible). Because that algorithm is non-trivial I didn't do it. I can't put months of work into something if I'm not getting paid for that time. If someone else needs to implement it for work and could contribute it to Geometry that would be fantastic.

Regards,
Luke

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net