Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [geometry] Suggestion for doc: intersects vs. overlaps
From: Volker Schöch (vschoech_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-08 07:42:07

I found the subtle difference between intersects and overlaps in the mail archives:

> The OGC definition for "overlaps" is that there should be an overlap in the interior. While "intersects" is the inverse of disjoint, so anything which touches or overlaps.

http://lists.boost.org/geometry/2009/06/0343.php

It would certainly be helpful to have this difference highlighted in the documentation. A sentence like "for all geometries that do not have an extent, such as points and lines, overlaps returns false" (if that is true, I don't know) would be icing on the cake. Currently (1.48.0) there is no hint as to what the difference is between the two algorithms, and there is not even a cross-link between the two man pages, which I hereby suggest, too.

Just had to get this off my chest, no reply required.

Thanks

   Volker

--
Volker Schöch | vschoech_at_[hidden]