Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Geometries represented in multiple point types
From: Andrew Hundt (athundt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-07 18:19:02

> Thanks for your compliments. The system (and the blog-page) were at that
> time written for a specific usage (handling multi-s together, etc) but
> indeed they have a more generic ability.

Finding high quality explanations of tag dispatching was something I found
very difficult. Your post is one of about 3 webpages I've found. Any other
c++ topic typically has dozens or hundreds of pages explaining how things
work in many different ways, but for some reason there is very little about
tag dispatching. That's why I found your post so useful.

> Also on those more general places it is indeed possible to use them, we
> discussed this internally and will apply this in the library. However, it
> can take a while before it is modified everywhere.

Great, Thanks! I understand that it could take quite some time since it is
a change to many parts of the library. I was able to create a workaround
that I'm using until then where I'm only registering the types that are
most important directly and using wrappers/conversion for the others.

This discussion actually made me think that it may make sense for some of
the tag dispatch stuff in geometry and some of the other boost libraries to
be extracted into a tag dispatch library that makes use and integration of
tag dispatching and related techniques simpler. Perhaps I should email the
main boost list with the idea.

Cheers!
Andrew Hundt

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net