Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] vtk output beta ready for polygon, ring and multi_polygon
From: Tomislav Maric (tomislav.maric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-16 18:37:33

Hi Bruno,

thank you very much for taking the time to check out the code and your comments,
I'll gladly apply the changes you proposed.

As for the polyhedron concepts, there are two possibilities. The algorithm that I
am aiming at is a fast intersection of two convex polyhedrons. However, the
polyhedra
I am dealing with may be slightly non-convex, in the sense that some of the
faces are
not-planar to a small extent. Because of this, I am thinking about two concepts
for a
polyhedron:

# P1 polygon soup

# P2 doubly-linked edge graph (boost graph fits the characteristics I believe,
but I need
to check)

The goal for P1 is to optimize the intersection by implementing the Axis Aligned
Bound
Box check for the polyhedron, then a Separating Axis Collision test, and then
repeat the
same for every Polygon of P1. This should speed up the algorithm although an
intersection
between two models of P1, say p11 and p12 will still have O(np11, np12), where n
is the
number of polygons in a polyhedron. The accuracy of the P1 intersection can be
increased
by tetrahedral decomposition of a P1 polyhedron and performing a nested
intersection.
P1 is already there as a concept in a way: multi_polygon, but it lacks volume
calculation,
and tetrahedral decomposition, and there are no AABB intersection checks and
Separating
Axis Collision detection algorithms in 3D.

For P2, there is the intersection algorithm of Muller and Preparata, and for
this, boost.geometry
has all the ingredients (convex hull, etc). However, the convex hull will erase
all the
non-planarity, but the algorithm is O(n log n), where n is the number of points
involved in the
intersection. I am not sure how fast this will be if I use tetrahedral
decomposition of a polyhedron
and then execute nested intersection (Muller and Preparata algorithm between two
sets of
tetrahedra).

I would like to start with the P1 concept first, since multi_polygon is already
there in
boost.geometry, and in my library I have a similar concrete class up and
running, so I would like
to try out AABB tests and Collision Detection to speed up the intersection. When
this is done,
I would move on to defining the concept described in the Muller & Preparata
paper...

Best regards,
Tomislav