Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] vtk output beta ready for polygon, ring and multi_polygon
From: Tomislav Maric (tomislav.maric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-05-22 15:41:48

Hi Bruno,

If we use a multipolygon concept for the polyhedron, for a slightly
non-convex polyhedron, the only way to compute its volume is by
tetrahedral decomposition. If the tetrahedral decomposition fails for a
multipolygon polyhedron, we will see inverted tetrahedrons as parts of
the decomposition (negative mixed product volume). This might be our
test per choice, to be used with the metafunction you mentioned. Of
course, there is another way to compute the volume, which may be faster:
analytical formula, but this requires strict convexity of the
polyhedron. We can probably switch between those options somehow.

I'll start working with P1 as you suggested, since there is a lot to try
out. When I read about intersection algorithms for polyhedra, often the
complexity O is mentioned, but the real question is how much the
intersection can be sped up for a naive intersection (O(m*n)) with
collision detection for the polygons of the polyhedron (and or Axis
Aligned Bounding Box [AABB] tests).

I'll try to get the P1, collision detection and AABB tests up and
running. Then we can apply the naive O(m*n) intersection like this:

P1 intersect (P1 X , P1 Y)
    P1 result
    if AABB intersect (X, Y):
        if collide (X, Y):
            for all polygons X (pX):
                for all polygons Y (pY):
                    if collide (pX, pY):
                       pResult = intersect (pX, pY)
                       append pResult to result
    return result

P2 which is graph based will wait for a while, but I would like to do
that as well. The question is for reasonable number of polygons (I am
dealing with polyhedra that have up to say 20 polygons), which algorithm
is faster, the Preparata/Muller or the naive intersection with collision
detection (and/or AABB test).

I'll start working with P1 as you suggested and see where it leads. As
soon as I have something to show or to ask, I'll let you know. :)

Best regards,
Tomislav