Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] translation and rotation proposal
From: Bruno Lalande (bruno.lalande_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-12 10:47:08

Hi,

Bruno, do you have an opinion about this?

I often think about it and basically always come to the same conclusion.
Basically there are 2 categories of users around this and we need to
satisfy them all:
- some people care a lot about vector/point distinction, and don't want
subtract_point to return a point, they don't want to be able to add 2
points (makes no sense), etc... => we need to ensure that in the library
- some people don't care at all (I'm among them, with a mostly
game-oriented background) - they use the "point" and "vector" words
interchangeably => we need to keep the library as permissive as it
currently is for them

So all in all, the library needs a way to define what is the vector type
corresponding to a point type. Could be a vector_type<point_type>
metafunction. Could also be called difference_type<point>, since in essence
a vector is the difference between 2 points and "difference_type" sounds
familiar to C++/STL users. People who don't care about the distinction want
vector_type<point_type> to return point_type. People who care want it to
return a different type (with possibly same underlying structure, but
different from a type system standpoint). The metafunction would be called
by arithmetic operations and things like that.

Regarding the model, we would of course be adding a model::vector type. Now
the problem is which default to give it for vector_type<model::point>, i.e.
which type of users we'd like to support by default - as there has to be
one I suppose.

Does the approach make any sense?

Regards
Bruno