Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] bounding object calculation
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-16 04:56:46

On 16 August 2013 01:12, Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
> As for 'bounds'. I'm not an expert in english so feel free to prove me
> wrong, but according to:
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bounds (2)
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bound (3)
>
> may be used in plural form e.g. to describe some approximation of limits or
> a boundry.
>
> Considering mathematical definition of bounds (probably this isn't fully
> correct since bounds describe sets, not geometries) we can probably say that
> 1d box represents 2 bounds (lower and upper), 2d Box 4 bounds (left, right,
> top, bottom), etc.

>From my GIS experience, you've got the bounds exactly as I understand it.
For 2D geometries, bounds are four numbers that describe a bounding box.

>> There is also option like mbr for minimum bounding rectangle :)
>
> I assume that this name could be a replacement for envelope which returns a
> Box. Am I right?

Yes, but box may not be self-evident really.
Some may understand a box as 3D object, whereas rectangles is very clear.

> More generic, similar name could be mbg for minimum bounding geometry. Or
> bounding_geometry.

As bounding object can be anything here, as far as I understand the
matter of this thread,
both those names sound well to me.

Best regards

--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
"Participation in this whole process is a form of torture" ~~ Szalony,

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net