Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Spatial Indexes: build and knn query performance for bulk loading/packing vs. linear balancing
From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-08 04:36:32

On 8 November 2013 08:55, Mikkel B. Stegmann
<mikkel.stegmann_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> [...]

Mikkel,

I'm not answering the core issue, just one note to your PDFs.

The bulk loading is titled |linear 16,bulk".
AFAIK, the bulk loading algorithm in Boost.Geometry has nothing to do
with the linear,
they are two different algorithms. You either use linear (with related
parameters)
or you use bulk loading which is a custom algorithm based on, AFAIR,
Split-Tile-Recurse (STR) and Top-down-Greedy-Split (TGS) and Adam's genius :-)

> [1]
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/libs/geometry/doc/html/geometry/spatial_indexes/introduction.html
> <http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/libs/geometry/doc/html/geometry/spatial_indexes/introduction.html>
>
> Results_-_linear_16,_bulk.pdf
> <http://boost-geometry.203548.n3.nabble.com/file/n4025741/Results_-_linear_16%2C_bulk.pdf>
> Results_-_linear_16.pdf
> <http://boost-geometry.203548.n3.nabble.com/file/n4025741/Results_-_linear_16.pdf>

I wonder, can you share the code of your benchmark?
I've been developing one too (with Adam's help)
https://github.com/mloskot/spatial_index_benchmark
I'd be curious to compare the results, improve my implementation, etc.

Best regards,

--
Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net