Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [geometry] Spherical Geometry
From: Michael Droettboom (mdroe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-01-23 14:35:23

I'm evaluating Boost.Geometry for use in some astronomy applications
here at the Space Telescope Science Institute.

The geometry I'm interested in is spherical (polygons on the sky
sphere). While most objects in astronomy are referenced in ra and dec
(analogous to lon and lat) for historical reasons, most operations on
polygons on the sky sphere must be done in 3d cartesian space (on the
unit sphere), since ra and dec have all kinds of well understood
problems at the poles. Does Boost.Geometry have any facilities for
working with polygons on the unit sphere that work around the poles?
I'm most interested in doing union and intersection operations on
arbitrary polygons and then calculating their area.

Is this something Boost.Geometry is suited for? I couldn't find any
existing examples that related to this, and it's not clear from reading
the code.

Mike

--
                    _