Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Boost.Geometry selected for MySQL
From: Norvald Ryeng (norvald.ryeng_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-02 04:56:47

----- barend_at_[hidden] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recent news which is published this week (actually today):
> Boost.Geometry will be used for MySQL 's spatial database features.
>
> http://mysqlserverteam.com/building-mysql-with-boost/
>
> This also means MySQL (server) will now use Boost libraries from now
> on.

It does, and we're really looking forward to it! So far we're only using Geometry, but other Boost functionality also looks tempting.

I didn't mention it in the blog post, but we will of course submit our bugfixes and features back to Boost.Geometry. That is one of the points of using the library -- not having to invent and maintain everything ourselves.

There will always be a diff, though. Right now we have a couple of bugfixes in our source tree. They've been committed to Boost.Geometry, but we can only use released versions of Boost, so we'll have to wait for Boost 1.56 to remove the fixes. The same could happen to features if the release schedules of MySQL and Boost are too much out of sync.

Boost.Geometry doesn't have all the functionality we need in MySQL, so we already have people working on extending it. Thank you Barend and the rest of the Boost.Geometry developers for reviewing our patches and helping us get started! I hope the extra manpower will be appreciated.

Regards,

Norvald H. Ryeng

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net