Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] [point_iterator] make point iterator bidirectional
From: Barend Gehrels (barend_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-05 14:50:06

Hi Menelaos,

Menelaos Karavelas wrote On 5-5-2014 9:21:
> Hello all.
>
> Before getting into the details, let me give some background. During
> the past couple of months I have implemented an iterator for the
> points of a geometry. The code is already in the develop branch, but
> it is not yet documented (which means "use at your own risk", at least
> for now...). The idea is to have an iterator to iterate over all
> points of a geometry, and the supported geometries are: linestrings,
> rings, polygons, multi-points, multi-linestrings and multi-polygons.
> To use the iterator one can simply write:
> bg::point_iterator<Geometry> first = bg::points_begin(g); //
> non-const first
> bg::point_iterator<Geometry> last = bg::points_end(g); //
> non-const past-the-end
>
> bg::point_iterator<Geometry const> const_first =
> bg::points_begin(g); // const first
> bg::point_iterator<Geometry const> const_last = bg::points_end(g);
> // const past-the-end
> The points' iterator was implemented as a forward iterator.
> The corresponding implementation file is:
> *
> https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/blob/develop/include/boost/geometry/iterators/point_iterator.hpp
> but there is also:
> *
> https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/blob/develop/include/boost/geometry/iterators/point_iterator_type.hpp
> and other source code files involved....
> If people are interested I can describe the implementation design in
> detail.
>

> This email is about follow-up work in this direction. During the past
> couple of days I changed/modified/updated the implementation to make
> the point iterator bidirectional. So now one can use operator-- on
> point iterators, can use it in algorithms that require a bidirectional
> iterator (such std::reverse), etc. In addition, I have implemented two
> new free functions (the supported geometries are as above):
> ** points_front: returns the first point of a (non-empty) geometry
> ** points_back: returns the last point of a (non-empty) geometry
> So in order to use them, you may simply write:
> bg::point_type<Geometry>::type p = bg::points_front(g);
> bg::point_type<Geometry>::type q = bg::points_back(g);
> (I have omitted the "typename" keyword up-front).
>
> Finally, I have implemented a reverse iterator for points, and the
> corresponding free functions: points_rbegin and points_rend. To use
> them simply do:
> bg::point_reverse_iterator<Geometry> rfirst =
> bg::points_rbegin(g); // non-const reverse first
> bg::point_reverse_iterator<Geometry> rlast = bg::points_rend(g);
> // non-const reverse past-the-end
>
> bg::point_reverse_iterator<Geometry const> const_rfirst =
> bg::points_rbegin(g); // const reverse first
> bg::point_reverse_iterator<Geometry const> const_rlast =
> bg::points_rend(g); // const reverse past-the-end
>
> I have created a pull request for this:
> https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/pull/21

> [...]

Thanks a lot for this new functionality. I already liked the
points_begin and points_end, and bidirectional functionality makes it
more complete.

I think the point iterators are very useful for end users too, so if we
could create end-user documentation and some concise examples, would be
great.

If I have more remarks I will let you know.

Regards, Barend

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net