Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Ring intersection question
From: Will Lucas (wlucas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-06 18:29:31

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Menelaos Karavelas <
menelaos.karavelas_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Will.
>

> On 07/11/2014 12:10 πμ, Menelaos Karavelas wrote:
>
> Hi Will.
>
> On 06/11/2014 11:56 μμ, Will Lucas wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Menelaos Karavelas <
> menelaos.karavelas_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Yet one more comment.
>>

>> On 06/11/2014 11:44 μμ, Menelaos Karavelas wrote:
>>
>> Hi again.
>>
>> On 06/11/2014 11:34 μμ, Menelaos Karavelas wrote:
>>
>> Hi Will.
>>
>> On 06/11/2014 11:26 μμ, Will Lucas wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Menelaos Karavelas <
>> menelaos.karavelas_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Will,
>>>
>>> I tried your polygons and the intersection seems to work.
>>> Please checkout the attached program, and let us know if you get a
>>> similar output. The output that I get is:
>>> MULTIPOLYGON(((75 150,250 150,250 75,75 75,75 150)))
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> - m.
>>>

>>> On 06/11/2014 10:44 μμ, Will Lucas wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a question regarding the intersection of ring concepts using
>>> Boost.Geometry. I currently have two overlapping rectangles defined by the
>>> following WKTs:
>>>
>>> POLYGON((75 75,75 175,275 175,275 75,75 75))
>>> POLYGON((50 50,50 150,250 150,250 50,50 50))
>>>
>>> When I perform the intersection of these rectangles, I get the
>>> intersection points:
>>>
>>> POLYGON((75 150,250 75))
>>>
>>> The intersection points do not allow me to compute the area correctly
>>> after the intersection. Is there way to get a fully valid ring/polygon out
>>> of intersection, so that the area will be equal to the overlapping region?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Will

>> Menelaos,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response! I have tested your code, and it
>> correctly outputs
>>
>> MULTIPOLYGON(((75 150,250 150,250 75,75 75,75 150)))
>>
>> I had to comment out the is_valid calls as I'm running the Ubuntu
>> package (boost 1.54.0), which doesn't contain that helper method.
>>

>> Sure, this was just a sanity test.
>>
>> I'm guess the problem may be my re-mapping of the OpenCV data-types.
>> Here is what I currently am working with
>> https://gist.github.com/wlucas-DFT/0b8e1e07f34ee7e489c6
>>
>> Do I need to define a polygon wrapper for the custom Contour type I
>> have?
>>

>> I think that the problem is that your intersection output type should be
>> a multipolygon rather than a ring/polygon. Please checkout the relevant doc
>> page:
>>
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_56_0/libs/geometry/doc/html/geometry/reference/algorithms/intersection.html
>>
>> Try replacing the intersection output type by a multipolygon, or a
>> vector/deque of polygons and see what the output is.
>>

>> Please see the updated attached program. I added one more call to
>> bg::intersection specifying a ring as the output (like you do), and I get
> [...]
Hi Menelaos,

Thanks so much for the help! It really helped get me over this hurdle! I
tried registering the OpenCV Contour (std::vector<cv::Point>) type to a BG
polygon and got multiple definition errors due to the ring already being a
tagged type to BG. It seems like the only way around that was to add a
struct that had a Contour inside, and register that new datatype. So,
rather than adding an additional datatype, I ended up just copying the
OpenCV types to BG ones. While not the most elegant solution, it is working
perfectly now!

Thanks again!
Will

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net