Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: [geometry] Storage allocator questions
From: Henry Roeland (henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-11-29 13:48:09

Hi Adam,

It would be greet if I can focus on storage allocator and leave the rtree part to you or somebody else.

I hope I can still ask you guys questions concerning this storage allocator? I have some global Idea’s and probably need help both on design level and implementation.

Questions so far:

1. Is paging the only mechanism to get memory growth under control for an rtree? Its the only one I can think of, but maybe there are other ways to explore?

2. Is there any way an rtree can be read-only? Or set read-only after (bulk)insert?

3. One problem/challenge is how to get and keep region(box) coordinates “divided” over the page nodes. At least thats my understanding of an (r)tree. You need the region coordinates as fast lookup ID to know if a query should “dive” into the page or its sub pages or not.
Crazy idea: Maybe the allocator should manage an rtree of pages with references/pointers to the “real” tree nodes?

Questions:
Is my understanding of data lookup right? So coordinates determine the location of the data inside the RTree?
If this is true does this then mean that all Pages (Loaded or unloaded) must be known including its region coordinates?
This in order to get/keep the tree balanced and know which page must be loaded (by coordinate query)?

Lets discuss the different actions an storage allocator can/must handle:
Load in Page data on request by RTree
“Load" can mean anything: From File, From DB, From MessageQueue,…
“Request" means query hits coordinate region that matches the Page coordinates
Bulk Load multiple pages at once???

Unload Page data on request by Storage Manager itself(?)
“Unload” can mean:
To /dev/null :-) Only useful when read-only rtree
To File: Memory mapped or otherwise
To DB: Save data to (spatial) database
To MessageQueue
???
“Request” can mean:
Smart_pointer(s) say that nodes inside page are not used anymore
Smart_pointer(s) say that page is not used anymore
Amount of usage(hit count) is small
???
Bulk Unload multiple pages at once???

NOTE: The storage allocator must, as Adam already pointed out, deliver an interface to make above points possible. But not implement them in anyway.

Other questions/points that come to my mind are:
Must the storage allocator always store? What about transactions between in memory (RTree) and Persistence storage?
State-full allocator: Who owns the nodes and the data inside it? I always thought of an allocator like a factory that does not own the data…
When data is owned by another STL(like) container then IMHO a storage allocator has no use. This because the storage allocator then does not own the data and has no means to free/unload it.

Above is going top down by requirements/features but code-wise I will try to handle in my next e-mail.

Thanks for your time,

Kind regards,

Henry Roeland

> On 26 nov. 2014, at 22:12, Adam Wulkiewicz <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> Hi Henry,
>
> Henry Roeland wrote:

>>> Certainly not the only one. People are asking about it from time to time, using Interprocess' mapped file as a replacement. You're the only one who is willing to help with the implementation. I greately appreciate it.
>>>

>>> As I mentioned before I was thinking about a stateful allocator/storage/manager handling file or files/pages, cacheing etc. This allocator would return pointers which when dereferenced would force the allocator to load and cache data. Then, there would be a mechanism to tell the allocator that some pointers/data aren't used anymore. It could be done explicitly by calling some function on allocator like:
>>>
>>> persistent_allocator alloc(...);
>>> rtree<..., persistent_allocator> rt(..., alloc);
>>>
>>> rt.insert(...);
>>> rt.insert(...);
>>> rt.insert(...);