Boost logo

Geometry :

Subject: Re: [geometry] Moving projections from extensions
From: Adam Wulkiewicz (adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-22 12:39:35

Barend Gehrels wrote:
> Op 20-6-2016 om 17:59 schreef Adam Wulkiewicz:
<snip>

>> So in general I propose to hide as much as we can and expose only
>> crucial parts of the API.
>> For run-time projections use PIMPL idiom and wrap the pointer inside.
>> Require only to define CalculationType for projection and use double
>> as default.
>> In transform strategy take projection as template parameter and use
>> run-time projection as default.
>>
>> // compile-time
>> projections::robin_spheroid<>prj("+ellps=WGS84+units=m");
>> projections::robin_spheroid<>prj(srs::spheroid<>());
>> projections::forward(pt_ll,pt_xy, prj);
>>
>> // run-time
>> projections::projection<> prj("+proj=robin+ellps=WGS84+units=m");
>> projections::projection<> prj(epsg);
>> projections::forward(pt_ll,pt_xy, prj);
>>
>> // also runtime
>> projections::project_transformer<>projection("+proj=robin+ellps=WGS84+units=m");
>> transform(pt_ll,pt_xy,projection);
>
> This looks indeed simpler. And probably it is possible. This should be
> changed in the generation.

I was also thinking about an alternative API, based on projection tags:

     // run-time
projections::projection<> prj("+proj=robin+ellps=WGS84+units=m");

// compile-time
projections::projection<robin>prj("+ellps=WGS84+units=m");

So robin (or robin_tag) would be a tag passed into projection<> as
template parameter. For a default tag the projection would be runtime
and for non-default tag the projection would be compile-time.
And then it would be possible to pass only tag to transform strategy, so
no need to pass the whole projection type.

// run-time
projections::project_transformer<>projection("+proj=robin+ellps=WGS84+units=m");

transform(pt_ll,pt_xy,projection); // compile-time
projections::project_transformer<robin>projection("+ellps=WGS84+units=m");transform(pt_ll,pt_xy,projection);

This could simplify the generic implementation. E.g. the constructors
taking all of those possible input parameters directly in projection
(mentioned below) could be implemented only once. Otherwise we'd be
forced to implement all constructors in every static projection.

On the other hand it could be harder to understand when projection is
dynamic and when static.

What do you think?

> Note that also possible should be:
>
> typedef boost::geometry::linestring<any point type> ls;
> ls line_ll, line_xy; // fill line_ll
> projections::forward(line_ls, line_xy, prj);
>
> So the line is automatically projected, where, if necessary, extra
> points are added because straight lines will usually become curved and
> vv is also possible. Same for most other geometry types (multi_point
> excepted).
>
> This does not need to be implemented in the first release, but we need
> to take this into account.

Wouldn't it be the transform() function's purpose?
Shouldn't projections (and transform strategies) only project between
points?
This allows to logically separate the code nicely. Otherwise parts of
projections code like projections::forward() would call transform()
which would use Pt-Pt projection in a strategy, so call
projections::forward().

> [...]
>> strategy) we could leave the parameters type (filled in the transform
>> strategy) as it is now and pass it into the projections instead of
>> proj4 string or epsg code. Then we wouldn't be forced to implement
>> constructors for all inputs in every projection. But parameters
>> should also take the CalculationType and I don't see a reason to have
>> init() function (this also causes problems with multiple
>> representations, see below):
>>
>> projections::parameters<> par("+ellps=WGS84+units=m");
>> projections::parameters<> par(epsg);
>>
>> projections::robin_spheroid<> prj(par);
>
> I agree that the init function can be skipped. The current API is a
> bit close to the proj4 API , which also calls pj_init (or init_plus).
> But we can hide it indeed.
>

>> Now, regarding the other kinds of projections definitions, both proj4
>> an WKTs are strings so currently it wouldn't be possible to implement
>> both unless there was some other function like init_wkt(), but i
>> think it's not elegant. Instead I propose wrapping the parameters,
>> like this:
>>
>> usingnamespaceprojections;
>> parameters<> par= proj4("+ellps=WGS84+units=m");
>> parameters<> par = epsg(epsg_code);
>> parameters<> par = static_epsg<EPSG>();
>> parameters<> par = spheroid<>();
>> parameters<> par = wkt("..."); // maybe in the future
>
> OK for me, it looks good.
>

>> // still the user should use:
>> project_transformer<>projection(proj4("+proj=robin+ellps=WGS84+units=m"));
>> project_transformer<>projection(epsg(epsg_code));
>> project_transformer<>projection(spheroid<>()); // compile-time error
>> project_transformer<aea_ellipsoid<> >projection(spheroid<>()); // ok
>> transform(pt_ll,pt_xy,projection);
>>
>> This would make the code more clear too, and semantically separate
>> Boost.Geometry from the internal implementation being Proj4.
>
> It looks good indeed.
>

>> There are also other things I'd like to ask about, i.e.:
>>
>> What do you think about getting rid of forward and inverse methods
>> and instead figuring it out from the input types?
>
> Yes, the transform function should do that indeed. I agree. And it is
> easy to implement.
>
>> The projection would always perform a forward projection if the
>> cartesian geometry was the second parameter and inverse projection if
>> it was the first parameter. I'd be similar to boost::lexical_cast
>> which gets the direction from template parameters. In such case the
>> user would be forced to pass the correct point/geometries types so
>> this is limiting.
>>
>> This could be implemented only in the transform strategy (so the
>> projections would still have forward() and inverse() functions), then
>> project_inverse_transformer wouldn't be needed.
>
> Maybe it is more convenient that the called method should figure it
> out. The transform strategy should be neutral to inverse/forward. But
> it can be implemented on different levels, we should carefully compare

There could be the third function (besides forward() and inverse())
picking projection's direction automatically.
And three corresponding strategies simply calling these three functions.
So:

projections::project(pt1, pt2, prj); // forward or inverse based on
input point types

>> Another way could be project_transformer automatically figuring out
>> the projection direction and explicit project_forward_transformer,
>> project_inverse_transformer strategies.
>>
>> I'm also confused about the names of projections. AFAIU the ones
>> marked as xxx_ellipsoid map from ellipsoid of revolution or spheroid
>> and the ones marked as xxx_spheroid map from a sphere. There is also
>> e.g. cass_spheroid which AFAIU can work with ellipsoid of revolution.
>> Are these simple inaccuracies or am I missing something?
> It is by the generation. I have to look this up, but if the proj4
> source supports an ellipsoid for it (even if it does not make sense),
> it is generated too. We can always adapt the generation.
>

>> Currently the names are directly derived from Proj4 parameter names
>> but in WKT they're different (PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"]) so
>> users which doesn't know Proj4 could be confused.
>> What do you think about naming projections using full names, e.g.:
>>
>> projections::aea_ellipsoid -> projections::albers_equal_area
>> projections::cass_spheroid -> projections::cassini
>> projections::tmerc_ellipsoid -> projections::transverse_mercator
>
> I kept all the proj4 names and I think that is more convenient than
> adding another translation table. For users, who usually know proj4
> (it is quite well-known), it is also more convenient.
> Having said that, I agree that cassini looks better than just cass,
> and if WKT has a complete map of all translations, we could consider
> that too.

And by "proj4 names" do you mean the names of functions used in the
Proj4 sources?
Because the projection parameters has different names in Proj4 string
format. I'd expect the users are more familiar with these names, not
function names.

E.g. for aea_ellipsoid (e.g. http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/2964/)
I see that there are basically 3 formats/names:

OGC WKT: PROJECTION["Albers_Conic_Equal_Area"]
Proj4: +proj=aea
ESRI WKT: PROJECTION["Albers"]

>> This would again be more clear and general. And wouldn't be confusing
>> if we had tri-axial ellipsoid projections in the future.
>
> Thanks for your input.

I'd like to do the necessary work now if you're still ok with that.

Regards,
Adam

Geometry list run by mateusz at loskot.net