Boost logo

Proto :

Subject: Re: [proto] Recursive functions in a mini language
From: Manjunath Kudlur (keveman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-08-09 17:39:39

> Actually, I think your users will be forced to do: (module->*func)(...)
> because of the precedence. That's pretty ugly. But I see where you're
> going. Your scheme could be made to work as you describe, I think.

Yes, you are right, I had forgotten about the precedence.

> I'm left wondering why you want this, though. In what way is it better
> than just defining some mutually recursive functions?

How would you do that? Do you have some other mechanism in mind? To be
clear, I want the ability to "name" some proto expressions, and freely
"call" these expressions in other expressions in a mutually recursive
manner, just like in the example I have shown. My use case is to
provide the user with a set of data-parallel primitives that he can
freely compose to form bigger functions.

Manjunath