Boost logo

Proto :

Subject: Re: [proto] Compiling in debug mode
From: Daniel Oberhoff (daniel.oberhoff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-05-13 03:46:26

Am Freitag, den 13.05.2011, 09:59 +0700 schrieb Eric Niebler:
> On 5/13/2011 5:45 AM, Bart Janssens wrote:
> > Hi guys,

[..]

> > Is anyone aware of
> > tweaks for GCC that reduce memory usage, but still produce useful
> > debug info (just using -g now, no optimization)?
>
> I'll leave this for the gcc experts.
>
> > I've gotten to the point where a compile can use upwards of 1.5GB for
> > a single test, resulting in much swapping, especially when compiling
> > with make -j2 (which I try to remember not to do, now ;).
>
> Ouch. Do you have to use gcc? Perhaps clang might give you better results.

Maybe, but if you want to keep on using gcc, you can pass it some extra
options that influence its internal memory manager (there is a garbage
collector inside gcc...). These work for me:

--param ggc-min-expand=30 --param ggc-min-heapsize=8192

in effect I think it is a space/speed tradeoff, though I haven't noticed
any major slowdown.

Best

Daniel

Proto list run by eric at boostpro.com