Boost logo

Proto :

Subject: Re: [proto] The proper way to compose function returning expressions
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-26 12:35:36

On 26/04/12 18:02, Eric Niebler wrote:

> Interesting. I avoided this design because I was uncertain whether the
> compiler would be able to optimize out all the copies of the
> intermediate nodes. You're saying NT2 does it this way and doesn't
> suffer performance problems? And you've hand-checked the generated code
> and found it to be optimal? That would certainly change things.

NT2 treats large amounts of data per expression, so construction time is
not very important. It's the time to evaluate the tree in a given
position that matters (which only really depends on proto::value and
proto::child_c<N>, which are always inlined now).

We also have another domain that does register-level computation, where
construction overhead could be a problem. The last tests we did with
this was a while ago and was with the default Proto behaviour. That
particular domain didn't get sufficient testing to give real conclusions
about the Proto overhead.

Proto list run by eric at boostpro.com