Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Anthony Williams (anthony_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-23 06:53:57

Roland Schwarz <roland.schwarz_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Anthony Williams wrote:
>> There was a lot of discussion about this on the main boost list recently. I
>> think it boiled down to the fact that this is an old compiler, and rather
>> non-conforming, so required lots of workarounds. This was rather controversial
>> with some, so it's probably best not to go into it here. Check the archives
>> for details.
>
> So I better remove this tests? What about VC6?

Don't remove the tests unless they causes you problems --- it's always good to
know what works on old compilers, for those people that do use them. If we can
make things work without too much of a headache, then that's good too.

>>> I am running on a pentium with hyperthreading, don't know if this matters...
>>
>> ... this. A P4 with HT mimics a dual processor system in some ways, so will
>> expose more deadlocks and race conditions than a normal P4. This is a good
>> thing.
> Just an innocent question: Why not use the implementation from HEAD?
> This apparently seems to work.

The implementation isn't that different. We can't use the original as-is due
to licence issues, but you knew that.

I'll look into the failures.

Anthony

--