Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Russell Kliese (russell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-14 00:22:22

>> I've been trying to come up with a timed read/write lock for Linux to
>> replace the implementation that was pulled from Boost. After looking
>> over some of the messages is the mailing list, I decided to investigate
>> wrapping up pthreads.
>>

> Did you not get the new version I posted? I've attached it again in case it
> went astray.

I did get the version that you posted. I was just thinking that it could
be easier to make use of the pthread read/write mutex implementation,
but as you pointed out, you cannot upgrade or downgrade the locks.

By the way, I found the relevant current documentation for POSIX
(including pthreads) at http://www.unix.org/single_unix_specification/
(registration required). I thought I'd include this link in case others
were looking.

I wonder if you have a commented version of the source code for your
read/write mutex implementation, or even just a high level description
of how it works? I'm sure it's not that difficult to figure it out, but
it would be much quicker to have an overall description of the
implementation.

Cheers,

Russell Kliese