Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Allen Pulsifer (pulsifer3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-03 10:16:39

> If you use static linking, on some Windows compilers (gcc,
> Borland), then TSS is not cleaned up for threads no started
> with boost::thread (e.g. those started using CreateThread
> directly). This is the same as for boost 1.34.1

AFAIKT from grep'ing the code, TSS is a standalone functionality, i.e., its
provided to the programmer but is not used by Boost itself, and in
particular is not used by the reader/writer locks. Is this correct?

The project I'm working on at the moment is a FUSE interface
(http://fuse.sourceforge.net/). FUSE basically is a user-space callback for
Linux kernel file calls. I haven't figured out exactly how threading works
in FUSE, but from an overview level, it looks like threads appear out of
thin air, perhaps created by the kernel for the callback, and then disappear
back into the muck. I just want to make sure this is not going to conflict
with some functionality Boost needs for its reader/writer lock
implementation.

Thanks,

Allen