Boost logo

Threads-Devel :

From: Thomas Hauk (thauk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-02-12 03:23:40

Hi all,

I'm having trouble with using Boost.Thread (1.34.1) on Mac OS X
(10.4.11/ppc/Xcode 2.3).

I have an Xcode project ("BSD command line tool") that links to what
I believe is the static build of Boost.Thread (libboost_thread-mt-
d-1_34_1.a). However, when Xcode goes to run the executable, it gives
the error:

> Running…
> dyld: Library not loaded: bin.v2/libs/thread/build/darwin/debug/
> threading-multi/libboost_thread-mt-d-1_34_1.dylib
> Referenced from: /path/to/my/executable/executablename
> Reason: image not found
> Program received signal: "SIGTRAP".

If I run the executable inside an X11 shell, I get a similar error.
If I add the path to the .dylib to the $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable, I can run the executable.

Which makes me wonder if somehow this .a file is really a .dylib.

What's also strange is that although the build directories for all
the other libraries have the same structure (e.g. filesystem/build/
darwin/debug/link-static/libboost_filesystem-d-1_34_1.a), the thread
directory has a threading-multi directory under the link-static
directory (meaning the file I am trying to link to is in thread/build/
darwin/debug/link-static/threading-multi/libboost_thread-mt-d-1_34_1.a).

I'm building all the libraries with bjam 3.1.15 and the command line
"bjam --toolset=darwin".

FWIW, I'm also using the Boost filesystem library with this
executable, without any compile, link or run-time errors.

Any help/ideas?

Also: is there any plan to distribute the Boost libraries for Mac OS
X in a similar way to how they are distributed for Windows (i.e.
installer that has pre-built library binaries)?

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
regular expressions."  Now they have two problems.
   --Jamie Zawinski, in comp.lang.emacs